LAST DAY TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION FOR THE AN ELECTIVE IN THE 2022-2023 ACADEMIC YEAR IS MONDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2022. CHECK BACK WITH US IN FEBRUARY 2023 TO FIND OUT WHEN WE WILL BEGIN ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR ELECTIVES OFFERED IN SEPTEMBER 2023 TO MAY 2024.
Thank you for your interest in the Visiting International Students Program. The information provided here details what is required for a complete application, as well as important details to help guide you in the process.
Use the below instructions along with the printable checklist to ensure your application is complete prior to sending. This will prevent delays in the processing of your application.
Note: Do not contact individual clinical sponsors for information on vacancies, elective availability, placement etc. Coordinate your requests with the Office of International Medical Student Education. Those who contact clinical departments directly will be disqualified from participating in the program.
Click here for a printable checklist for students applying to our program.
To send your application documents securely:
Please follow the below instructions to securely submit your application documents.
- Go to https://transfer.weill.cornell.edu/form/international-students, attach all required documents and send.
- Afterwards, send a separate email to email@example.com indicating that you have sent your application
- Once the files are downloaded, you will receive an email notification indicating the files were received
Note: All documents should be sent as PDF, JPG or Microsoft Word files only. All files must be labeled indicating the document type as per the list below. Additionally, all file names must include the first and last name of the applicant. If your files are not labeled properly, you will be asked to resend them.
Below is a list of documents required for a complete application:
1. Visiting International Students Application Form
- Elective Codes section: use the four-letter department code with the four-digit specialization code for each elective you are interested in. We recommend indicating 6-9 elective codes (i.e. MEDC 8174, MEDC 8108, etc). Do not list the same elective code more than once.
Note: While we attempt to accommodate student’s top choices, you will be considered for all combinations of electives and dates indicated on your application form. Therefore, you need only mention an elective code or date range once. Additionally, there are no placements during the summer months (June, July and August).
2. Dean/Registrar Verification Form
- The Dean or Registrar’s office of your medical school must complete this form.
- Dates must correspond with the elective dates indicated on the application form.
3. Dean's Letter of Recommendation
A recommendation letter on official letterhead is required from the Dean of your medical school. It must contain the following:
- You are a full time student in your final year of medical school with your expected date of graduation
- You are in good academic standing
- The language of instruction at your medical school (English or otherwise)
- Your university allows you to participate in the Visiting International Student Elective Program at Weill Cornell Medicine
Note: The dean's letter must explicity state "expected date of graduation". This will prevent delays in processing of your application. If the letter does not clearly state your "expected date of graduation", you will be asked to provide an revised letter from your dean’s office.
4. Statement of Intent
A one-page, single-spaced statement written by the applicant that may include reasons for pursuing a medical career, for choosing specific electives, etc.
5. Curriculum Vitae (CV) with Photo
Your CV should include:
- Information about your higher education (medical school, undergraduate and highschool)
- Work experience, as well as any professional activities, publications or research in progress, volunteer work, conferences, presentations, etc.
- Dates for all activities listed
Note: Purdue Owl's Writing the Curriculum Vitae provides a guide for CV formatting. Templates can also be found online.
6. Official Transcripts with Clerkship grades/marks
Your transcript must be on official letterhead issued by your dean’s office and should include:
- Clerkship marks/ evaluation are required. If your transcript does not include these, you must provide other official evaluative documents showing your clerkship marks
- A key for your university’s grading system
- If you are applying too early, clerkship grades/marks may not be listed on your transcript. This is required for the processing/review of your application and placement.
7. Proof of Payment for Application Fee
- There is a $300 non-refundable application processing fee that must be paid at the time of application
- Payments are only accepted via the Weill Cornell Medicine Payment Portal. Please click here to create an account. For step by step instructions, please click here.
- Once payment is successfully processed, you will receive a payment confirmation. A screenshot of this confirmation is required as proof of payment.
8. Photo page of passport and visa page
- Visa page is required only is you have a USA visa
- If you are applying for Virtual Electives only, this is not required.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
It is recommended that all applicants review our cancellation policy before applying.