Below are answers to questions frequently asked by students interested in applying to our program. If your question is not answered below, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific questions.
We have also developed an FAQ with answers specific to questions regarding the Health Statement form. We recommend students print out and bring the Health Statement FAQ to their physician to help with completing the health statement form.
I sent in my application- when can I expect a confirmation email?
- We ask that you allow up to seven business days to receive a confirmation email.
- If you have not received a confirmation email after seven business day, please send a follow-up email to email@example.com requesting an update.
How do I receive an update on my application status?
- The fastest, most direct way to get your questions answered is by emailing your question. Send all emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We do not advise about a student’s application status over the phone or in person. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application, submit them to our email.
Can I submit my application less than six months in advance?
- We do not consider applications sent less than six months in advance of the requested elective dates.
The course catalog does not show dates for the months I am looking to apply- how should I request the correct dates on my application form?
- When viewing the catalog, be sure to choose the appropriate year from the drop-down menu.
- There are dates up to June 2019 in the course catalog currently. The course catalog is updated in April for the following year (2019 - 2020), however students should still apply 6 months in advance of their earliest requested elective dates.
- On your application, use the current catalog’s date ranges and elective options offered. If necessary, we will ask you to update this form once the new catalog has been released.
- Note: Elective dates generally shift 1-2 days from the previous year. Therefore, you should be flexible by a minimum of 1-2 days at the beginning and the end of the elective dates listed in the current catalog. There is also an orientation that is scheduled on the Thursday prior to the start of your elective.
If I email the clinical department, can they tell me if there is an elective spot for me?
- Do not contact individual clinical sponsors for information on vacancies, elective availability, placement etc.
- All requests regarding the program should be coordinated with the Office of Global Health Education.
- Applicants who contact clinical departments directly will be disqualified from participating in the program.
What are the best electives/dates to apply for to increase the chance of placement?
- Students should only apply for electives and dates that they are genuinely interested and available to participate in. There are several factors that determine whether a student is placed, most importantly the strength of the student's application and availability of spots determined by departmental needs. Placement is not guaranteed.
- Placement during the summer months is lower than the rest of the year. This is because July is the start of the academic year, and many electives do not host international students in the summer. We recommend considering alternative months if possible.
How long does it take to reach a decision on my application?
- It takes several months to fully process applications and receive a response from departments.
- Typically, students hear a decision 2 months prior to their earliest requested elective dates.
- You will be notified by email when the clinical departments reach their decision regarding your application.
- If you require a decision by a specific date, send an email with your request PRIOR to applying. We cannot guarantee a decision will be reached on your application by a specific date, but we can give feedback on whether it is possible.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application, please send an email to email@example.com
- Note: We do not advise about a student’s application status over the phone or in person. The fastest and most direct way to get your questions answered is through email.
How many electives can I be considered for?
- Applicants may indicate a maximum of 9 electives and a maximum of 3 months to be considered for. Students can be accepted for electives lasting a maximum of 8 weeks.
- While we attempt to accommodate student’s top choices, you will be considered for all electives and dates indicated on your application form. You must be able to attend the full length of the elective if you are accepted- dates are not flexible.
Can I apply to the program if I am not a final year student?
- You must be a final year student at the time of your actual rotation. We define your final year as the year preceding your graduation date.
- Students who have already graduated are not eligible to participate.
Do you have observerships I could participate in?
- Our office does not coordinate observerships.
I am interested in doing a two-week elective, is the fee $3,000?
- Four-week electives= $3,000
- You can also be accepted for 2x 2-week electives (total four weeks= $3000)
- Two-week electives= $1500
Should I pay the full elective fee when I send in my application? Will that increase my chances of being accepted?
- Only once you are accepted should you submit elective fees. Do not send any fees other than the $300 application fee with your application documents.
- Sending any other fees besides the $300 application fee will not increase your chance of acceptance.
I paid the wrong fee, how can I get a refund?
I am a US Citizen, am I eligible to apply?
I am not sure I am considered an international student- how can I find out?
I am not sure my university is approved for the program- how can I find out?
- Before you apply, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your question, along with your single page application form (filled out at the top only) and your CV. We will advise if your university is approved and you are eligible to apply.
My university's language of instruction is not English- can I apply?
- Applicants from medical schools where English is not the language of instruction contact us via email at email@example.com prior to applying. You may be asked to submit TOEFL scores and/or conduct a phone interview.
I am having trouble with PayPal, how can I pay the application fee?
Some people experience issues with the PayPal link. Here are some troubleshooting suggestions:
- Try using a different browser
- Clear your cookies/cache and then try again (using multiple browsers if necessary)
- Have someone else try to pay via PayPal for you. You will need to send a screenshot of their payment as proof along with your application documents.
- Check back in a few days and try again
- If you are still experiencing issues, we also accept personal checks mailed to our office. If you ultimately decide to send a personal check, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get approval and instructions.
I paid thru PayPal, can you look up my payment?
- We require proof of payment to be sent along with your other application documents for your application to be complete. Please send a screenshot in PDF format including a transaction number.
Will I be considered for more electives if I send two applications?
- Only send one complete application. Our program considers students for a maximum of nine elective choices within a maximum of three months only.
- If you are placed for more than 4-weeks, the dates will typically be altogether (back-to-back) unless otherwise requested by the student on their application form.
I do not have malpractice or health insurance- can I still apply?
- Malpractice insurance and health insurance are not required until after you have been accepted for an elective.
- Please visit our Insurance page for further details.
I was approved for an elective and accepted, but now I can no longer participate- what do I do?
- Should you need to cancel your elective, immediately notify Dianne Young via email at email@example.com or by phone at (646) 962-8058.
- Visit our Cancellation Policy page for more details regarding our policy and associated fees.