If you received an official acceptance letter- congratulations on your placement! The below information details next steps so you can successfully secure your placement and prepare for your elective.
Note: You should only complete the below steps once you have received an official elective offer.
At this stage you will need to respond to the elective offer made to you via email by Ms. Dianne Young. You will have one week to respond from the date the email was sent. If you accept, you will received additional information from Ms. Young to proceed to step 1 as outlined below.
After accepting the offer, if you have not yet done so, you should obtain your visa to travel to the USA. We recommend obtaining a B1/B2 visitor’s visa.
- This is of course, if you are not in possession of other valid forms of entry to the US. If you have a question regarding what visas are acceptable, please send an email to Dianne Young at email@example.com.
You will need to submit the following required documents via a link sent to you by Ms. Dianne Young:
1. Proof of $500 Deposit
- Obtain a $30 personal check and make payable to: New York State Education Dept. Mail the following four documents with your $30 personal check to the NYSED address listed on the NYSED application form (top left): NYSED application form (completed, signed and dated)
- The following must me attached when mailing in NYSED Form. These documents must be successfully sent to the NYSED office- no exceptions. Students who do not comply with this requirement will not be allowed to begin their elective.
- Office of International Medical Student Education acceptance letter
- Infection Control Certificate
- Dean's Verification Form
You will then receive a Letter of Eligibility/Permission from NYSED to study at WCMC
After receipt of the documents requested in STEP 1, you will be asked to submit the following required documents via a link sent to you by Ms. Dianne Young:
- Annual Hospital Training completion certificate
- Fire Safety completion certificate
- HIPAA completion certificate
- Basic or Advanced Life Support certificate
- Technical Standards Attestation – signed and dated
- Proof of elective fee payment
NOTE: You will be able to access the three WCM Online Exams once you are assigned a CWID. Please click here for instructions to access and complete the WCM Online Exams.
After this step you should be:
1. Preparing to reserve your flight and housing. It is recommended that this be completed at least one week prior to the start of your elective.
- Use the electives dates and the Orientation details advised in the elective offer to guide your bookings. Students must make their own flight and housing arrangements.
- Visit our Housing page for suggestions.
- You must have personal / traveler’s insurance when you arrive, malpractice insurance with coverage up to $3 million USD total in the US.
- You also must obtain influenza immunization if you are participating between September and April
- Visit our Insurance page for suggestions- but insurance can be from any provider.
After receipt of the documents requested in STEP 2, you will be asked to submit the following required documents via a link sent to you by Ms. Dianne Young:
- Copy of your air ticket
- Copy of your visa
- Proof of personal insurance
- Proof of your malpractice insurance
- This is mandatory for all Visiting International Students to attend prior to the start of their elective.
- The orientation usually lasts for one hour and typically scheduled for the Thursday prior to the start of the elective.
- Prior to orientation, students should obtain their WCMC ID from the security. Ms. Dianne Young will email you a form to obtain this.
- At the orientation, students are REQUIRED to sign the HIPPA document
- Students will receive detailed information on the location and contact person for their elective.
- A Welcome packet will be given to students containing details on Student Health, medical terminology, access to patient data and policy for student attendance.
- Should you need to cancel your elective, immediately notify Dianne Young via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (646) 962-8058.
- Visit our Cancellation Policy page for more details regarding our policy and associated fees.